6.03.2013

All the Raj





Free People Golden Age Top, Free People lace bandeau , Anthropologie skirt (old), Thrift sandals, Chan Luu necklace, Vintage cuffs, Hot Haute Hot rings

Cream, crochet, white. I float. Something about wearing these colors and textures make me feel clean and relaxed. The other day half of my body was flipped upside down in a worn U-Haul box as I dug through old clothes in the attic. So many colors, textures, history. I was in heaven. I pulled out this intricate skirt. The front, a beautiful Rajasthan Indian sari pattern that was mixing cream, pewter, and gold in an oh so perfect way. My heart began racing- I'm in love. The gold tassels put the sweet cherry on top. I held it above my head like I had won a Grammy. The more I studied the beauty of it the more familiar it was. Later that day, I showed my mother this gem and she explained that she bought it at Anthropologie in 1999. The skirt was born 14 years ago. Score. 

I wandered into Otto Milk's penthouse suite wearing my newest treasure. The exposed brick, giant windows, and concrete floor felt airy and raw. One of the windows was open, and the cool afternoon breeze had me floating again. I paired my skirt with one of my favorite Free People finds, the delicate Golden Age Top in cream. I remember spotting it for the first time and how it was such an easy buy for me. You can wear it open exposing the front, or buttoned leaving it backless. Options. My kinda thing. Wearing such neutral colors makes it fun to experiment with pops of color, so I loved adding bold cobalt, soft turquoise, mixed metals, and fun patterned sandals. That day my clothing had me smiling like it was my first day of school outfit in 3rd grade, and I love that, you know.